Sam Watts is one of the foremost thinkers on VR and the Director of Immersive Technologies at MakeReal, a company that believes that immersive digital products are transforming the way we work, play and learn. MakeReal makes virtual reality experiences, augmented reality devices, collaborative ‘serious games’ and other tools that support new types of work, play and learning.
Sam’s passion for VR shows throughout his previous work with BBC, Channel 4, Sky and PlayStation. He has 20+ years in software and game development and project management and now spends his days focused on creating the epic immersive experiences of the future.
In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- How psychedelics started the virtual reality movement
- Why dystopian VR is unlikely in Sam’s opinion
- What areas are advancing rapidly and causing VR’s progress
- The reason a single company probably won’t own the VR market
- Why immersive experiences change the equation for the entertainment of the future
- The problem with consumer VR today and what needs to change to spur adoption
- What is the experience escape velocity and why is it so important?
- When we can expect to see consumer VR takeoff
- The chicken and the egg problem of content and cost
- Why 5G will drive the adoption of VR
- The reason the future is likely mixed reality
Are you an accredited investor? Apply to join our angel syndicate if you’d like to access our deal flow.