Matt McIlwain is a Managing Director at Madrona Venture Group, an early-stage venture capital firm based in Seattle, Washington. He invests primarily in software-driven companies and currently serves on several boards. He co-teaches a course on venture capital in the University of Washington Computer Science Department and is a board member of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Washington Policy Center.
Listen and Learn:
- How the Chinese startup ecosystem has evolved in last 6 years
- Why Madrona prefer to invest in the Pacific Northwest
- What the mobile-only economy of China means for the rest of the world
- The future of the AI/ML talent war and how Matt sees it playing out
- How Matt evaluates startup investments and founder motivation
- The reason Matt would bet on Amazon over anyone elses
- What were Matt’s biggest takeaways from his trip to China
- Why founders should always prefer for an economic downturn
Matt’s Main Projects:
Are you an accredited investor? Apply to join our angel syndicate if you’d like to access our deal flow.