Travis Scher (@travisscher) leads venture capital and new cryptoasset investing at Digital Currency Group(DCG), a blockchain investment firm with a mission is to accelerate the development of a better financial system.
DCG is world’s the most prolific investor in blockchain startups. They have invested in over 100 companies in 30 different countries, including market leaders like Coinbase, Blockchain, Ledger, and Ripple and they have also invested directly in crypto-assets, including Bitcoin, Decentraland, Ethereum Classic, and Zcash.
Digital Currency Group is not a traditional venture capital fund, instead they also build and buy companies. DCG has three wholly owned subsidiaries: CoinDesk, the leading independent source of blockchain news, research, and events, Genesis Trading, a full-service institutional trading firm focused on digital currencies, and Grayscale Investments, the world’s largest digital currency asset manager.
In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- The future of Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies
- Why blockchain builds perfectly upon VR
- How non-governmental money will impact society
- The big problem with custody and control of money
- Why we’re still a few years off from widespread crypto adoption
- The importance of AI in cryptocurrency
- How Travis thinks we can rewrite democracy
- The effects of utility tokens on internet monopolies
- Travis’ thoughts on user experience and product adoption
- The reason Travis is still bullish on Bitcoin
- The effects of ICOs on venture capital ecosystem
- Why our banking system is totally broken