Zoltan Istvan Gyurko (@zoltan_istvan) is an American transhumanist, journalist, entrepreneur and Libertarian futurist who ran for President of the United States in 2016 to raise awareness for transhumanism. In 2017, Istvan announced his intent to run for Governor of California in the 2018 election as a member of the Libertarian Party – see his website: zoltanistvan.com for more.
Formerly a reporter for the National Geographic Channel, Istvan now writes futurist, transhumanist, libertarian and secular themed articles for major publications including Vice’s Motherboard, Wired, The Huffington Post., TechCrunch and Newsweek. Istvan also regularly appears on television and video channels discussing futurist topics and is one of the world’s most influential transhumanists – believing transhumanism will grow into a mainstream social movement in the next decade.
Istvan is also the author of The Transhumanist Wager, a philosophical science fiction novel.
In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- Why Zoltan believes he will live forever
- How Zoltan thinks about AI and the future of intelligence
- The exciting science of life extension and which areas are most promising
- What happens to nation-states when humans start to live longer
- How and when genetic engineering and implants will start to impact society
- Why transparency may be the savior of humanity
- How Zoltan sees blockchain in the bigger picture
- Why Zoltan wants a mechanical heart ASAP
- What average individuals can do to live longer