Matthew is a seasoned growth-stage tech investor and career VC and General Partner at Canada based Plaza Ventures, focused on deal flow, ecosystem development and investor relations that sits on the board of numerous companies, accelerators, and charities. Before that, at B.E.S.T. Funds, Matthew oversaw dozens of growth-tech finance investments with consistent double-digit returns and co-created multiple funds.
He’s also a Board Member of the Canadian Venture Capital Association, a member of the MaRS IAF Investment Committee, Co-Chair of the CIX Top 20 Awards Committee and Mentor at Techstars Toronto Accelerator and Creative Destruction Lab. Matthew is also an Advisor at NEXT Canada, where he mentors young entrepreneurs in building their own ventures. He is a frequent public speaker and guest lecturer on tech start-ups and Venture Capital, as well as an active angel investor.
Listen and Learn:
- Why Plaza Ventures doesn’t do management fees and does WAY more GP infused capital
- The effect of Trump’s policy on Canadian startup exits
- Why Toronto’s startup ecosystem is skyrocketing
- Matthew thoughts on clean tech and why smart cities are a big focus
- What are the strengths and challenges of a career VC
- How Toronto compares to other tech hubs in terms of talent
- The reason Plaza focuses on smaller exits and cashflowing companies
- How governments can help rather than hurt innovation
- Why Canada’s immigration policy helps attract talent
- How much US investors are investing in Canadian startups
- Why there haven’t been any massive Canadian exits to date
Matthew’s Twitter: @m_leibowitz
Are you an accredited investor? Apply to join our angel syndicate if you’d like to access our deal flow.